PROSPECTUS: Utrecht has been carefully handcrafting Utrecht Artists’ Oil Colors in its Brooklyn, New York, mill for more than 50 years.
These fine oil colors are prized by professional artists around the world for their brilliant color, buttery texture, outstanding lightfastness, and excellent long-term performance.
High pigment concentrations guarantee superior tinting strength and remarkable vibrancy straight from the tube. A wide range of single pigment colors produces excellent mixing results.
Don’t be misled by the affordability of Utrecht Artists’ Oils — they are comparable in quality to leading ARTIST GRADE brands costing significantly more.
- SELECTION_77 colors with an even distribution across the several color ranges and a good balance between transparent and opaque colors.
- PROPRIETARY COLORS_Not as many as other brands.
- PIGMENT LOAD_High
- CONSISTENCY AND TEXTURE_As per their perspectus_buttery
- BINDERS_Primarily Linseed and Safflower.
- ADDITIVES_They makes very little mention of ingredients beyond binders but like all professional-great paint manufacturers, we tested they only use modifiers required to make a pigment usable.
- FINISH OR SHEEN_The semi-gloss range.
- PACKAGING_Pretty standard on frills labeling
- TOXICITY_Some Cadmiums, and lead whites. Their lead whites are not made in Brooklyn. (We will never tell.)
- TRANSLUCENCY_Just enough
- MIXABILITY/TINTING STRENGTH_Outstanding because of relatively small pigment size
- INTENSITY_ Excellent
- DRYING TIME_ Varies depending on the pigment.
- AVAILABILITY_ Owned by Blick_they also have their own stores.
SYNOPSIS: All true no unnecessary marketing hype here. This is a ARTIST GRADE product and its price makes it a solid choice from larger works. Their range is limited so one will have to search other brands for some proprietary colours and hard to mix convenience colours.